A Public Service Announcement! ;)

A Public Service Announcement! ;)

Friday, November 13, 2009

A Scene from Persepolis/ AKA My Students are Cool

In my ENG 3349 class, "The Dramatic Modes of English Language Arts," students learn about the six English Language Arts and how they can use all of them to integrate new and multimodal discourses into their teaching and into the types of work in which they might have their future students engage. They choose from a host of assignments (well over 20) to craft a portfolio of work illustrating them using technology to create texts that tell a little about themselves and/or offer pedagogical opportunities.

Here is a draft version of a "reader's theatre" based on one page of Marjane Satrapi's excellent graphic novel, Persepolis. The students even provide you with post-viewing discussion questions. They need to edit the text a little bit, but this still struck me as an intriguing clip that shows how knowing one form can help readers produce another. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ben Villarreal said...

Wow. Okay. I have several questions :-)

First off, is ENG 3349 a "junior" level class (300s are junior level here NMHU)? And if so, are these then English Majors?

Second, what other kinds of assignments could they have chosen from?

Third, as near as you can tell, does this level of work represent the class norm?

Who are these students that they made such an excellent "draft" video?! We'd be hard-pressed to get any kind of video work from students other than those studying film.

Just curious :-)

Bucky C. said...

1. 3349 is officially a junior level class, but students at UTEP can pretty much take whatever class in their major that they wantm when they want it (which makes for some aggrivating curricular problems).

2. I can send you my syllabus if you'll send an e-mail to my utep address, which you can find by searching my name on the main website.

3. As for it representing the norm...hmm... I'd say it represents the high end of average. Students in the course are not always as talkative as I'd like them to be, but many of them are very creative.

3. I have to say, I do not spend much time training students on the technologies they use. I let them know what programs are available and how they can use them (and sometimes they inform me and each other of other programs out there). I also tell them where they can find help on campus, but I expect them to cover their individual learning curves on their own. Since that is the expectation going in, (and since it is a required English Education major course), they have to "get with the program" pretty early or suffer self-inflicted consequences. Imovie and movemaker are standards programs on most computers now, and most of our students have access to some filming device (cell phone, etc) nowadays.

Lemme know via comments or via e-mail if you have more questions, etc. I'd be happy to share my reading list, syllabus, other student samples, etc.

Maybe we could even do some collaborative in-service or learning or something. :)