A Public Service Announcement! ;)

A Public Service Announcement! ;)

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

21st Century Literacy Skills & the Contemporary College Student

If this doesn't get you thinking about the need for educators to realize the changing nature of literacy, living, and thinking, I don't know what will.




I love the opening McLuhan quote about 19th century pedagogy. I've seen it with my own eyes: administrators, veteran teachers and newbies alike resorting to what they feel are "tried and true" methods of toe-the-line literacy instruction. I remember learning that my former school district received a $1,000,000 technology grant. I was happy that the school was getting smart boards, etc., but I couldn't help thinking, "What good is 21st century technology if it encounters 19th century pedagogy?"

And pay attention to the "I'm one of the lucky ones" sign, too. This deals with college kids -- those fortunate enough to make it past secondary ed. And here's hoping some test-makers in high positions read that scantron note!

No comments: